Low-Country Shrimp and Grits
- 4 center-cut bacon slices, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 1/4 cups unsalted chicken stock, divided
- 3/4 cup black coffee
- 1/2 cup lower-sodium tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 2 green onions, chopped
Step 1, Cook bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Add onion, thyme, mushrooms, and garlic; sauté 6 minutes or until onions and mushrooms are golden brown. Add 1 1/4 cups chicken stock, coffee, next 4 ingredients (through red pepper), and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes. Add cornstarch, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add shrimp; simmer 4 minutes or until shrimp are done.
Step 2, Bring remaining 2 cups stock, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan; add grits, stirring with a whisk. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a whisk.
Step 3, Place 1/2 cup grits in each of 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 cup shrimp mixture. Sprinkle each serving with 2 tablespoons tomato and about 1 tablespoon green onions.
Grilled Shrimp Caesar Salad
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmann's)
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet, drained and mashed to a paste
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced
- 7 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound peeled and deveined extra-large shrimp
- 2 ounces whole-wheat French baguette, cut into 8 slices
- 10 cup baby romaine lettuce
1. Combine the first 10 ingredients in a large bowl. Gradually add 1 tablespoon oil, stirring constantly with a whisk.
2. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Combine shrimp and 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Add shrimp to pan; cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until well-marked and done. Remove shrimp from pan. Brush each side of bread slices with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add bread to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until well-marked.
3. Add lettuce to mayonnaise mixture; toss well. Divide lettuce mixture evenly among 4 bowls. Divide shrimp and bread evenly among servings
Garlic Butter Shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lb large shrimp I use 16-20 count size, peeled, deveined and tails removed if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2-3 teaspoons minced garlic use more if you love garlic!
- the juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Melt butter in a large pan over medium high heat.
Add the shrimp and season with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are pink and opaque.
Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
Stir in the lemon juice and parsley, then serve.
Sheet Pan Chipotle Lime Shrimp
- 1-1/2 pounds baby red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3 medium limes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1/2 pound Broccolini or broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (16-20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400°. Place potatoes in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt; stir to combine. Bake 30 minutes. Meanwhile, squeeze 1/3 cup juice from limes, reserving fruit. Combine lime juice, melted butter, chipotle and remaining sea salt.
Remove sheet pan from oven; stir potatoes. Arrange asparagus, Broccolini, shrimp and reserved limes on top of potatoes. Pour lime juice mixture over vegetables and shrimp.
Bake until shrimp turn pink and vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.